Browse Items (5 items total)
In 1951, four hikers traversed all or almost all of the Appalachian Trail from end to end in one season. Three of those hikers, Gene Espy, Chester Dziengielewski, and Martin Papendick, hiked the entire trail, making them the second, third, and fourth thru hikers after Earl Shaffer in 1948. Bill Hall completed all but 300 miles of the trail, skipping the route between Roanoke and Damascus to save time and money. Pictured here, from left to right, are Dziengielewski, AT founder Benton MacKaye, Bill Hall and Gene Espy. The photograph was taken in October 1952, at a dinner hosted by the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club to honor the three hikers who attended. Papendick was thru hiking the Pacific Crest Trail at the time.
The Plum Orchard Gap Shelter is the northernmost shelter on the Trail in Georgia. This version of the shelter, which is a replacement for an older shelter, was constructed in the 1980s by soldiers from nearby Camp Frank Merrill. It is maintained by the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club.
The Springer Mountain Shelter is located near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. This image is of an older incarnation of the shelter. The Georgia Appalachian Trail Club tore down this version of the shelter and replaced it with the larger version that hikers encounter today.
The Hawk Mountain Shelter in Georgia is located in the Chattahoochee National Forest, about eight miles north of the southern terminus of the Trail at Springer Mountain. As a result, it is often the first stop for northbound hikers. This image shows the shelter as it was in 1974. It has subsequently been rebuilt by the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club.