George W. Outerbridge Shelter on the Appalachian Trail (2005)
The George W. Outerbridge Shelter on the Appalachian Trail, June 1, 2005. The shelter is named for George Outerbridge, the second person (after Myron Avery) to hike all the sections of the Appalachian Trail. Outerbridge began his section hiking on October 30, 1932, and completed his final section on June 22, 1939.
This shelter is located on the first stretch of the Trail that Outerbridge hiked and is maintained by the Allentown Hiking Club. The Club is a member of the Keystone Trail Association and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. The Club, founded in 1931, maintains 10.3 miles of the Trail and has two shelters -- this one, and the Allentown Hiking Club Shelter.