Appalachian Trail Histories

Menu

Description:

The old route of the Appalachian Trail passed across Comer's Rock in Grayson County, Virginia (elevation 4,035'). At the time there was a U.S. Forest Service fire tower on the summit of Comer's Rock and the area had been part of the Unaka (now Jefferson) National Forest since 1920.

Like many place names along the Appalachian Trail, there is more than one version of why this summit on the Iron Mountain ridge was named "Comer's Rock." One version has it that a Civil War draft-dodger named Comer hid there to avoid his military service in the Confederacy. Another has it that the lookout simply derived its name from the many Comers who lived nearby.


Date:

2009

Creator:

Joe Tennis

Subject

Lost Appalachian Trail

Contributor

Mills Kelly

Format

Black and white photograph

Source:

http://appvoices.org/2009/04/10/comers-rock-and-hale-lake/

Rights

All rights reserved

Citation

Joe Tennis, “Comer's Rock (2009),” Appalachian Trail Histories, accessed October 15, 2019, http://appalachiantrailhistory.org/items/show/956.

Geolocation

HH.8.Atop_.Comers.jpg