Appalachian Trail Histories

Menu

Description:

The Darlington Shelter in Pennsylvania is a replacement for the original Darlington Shelter built in 1956 by Earl Shaffer, the first person to thru hike the Appalachian Trail in 1948. The shelter Shaffer built was replaced by the current structure in 1977 by the Mountain Club of Maryland, which still maintains the shelter. The shelter is named for Bishop James Henry Darlington, an early advocate of the Appalachian Trail.

Collection:

Trail Shelters


Date:

06/23/2018

Creator:

Mills Kelly

Subject

Trail Shelters

Contributor

Mills Kelly

Format

Color photograph

Source:

Mills Kelly

Rights

No known copyright

Citation

Mills Kelly, “Darlington Shelter (2018),” Appalachian Trail Histories, accessed September 20, 2019, http://appalachiantrailhistory.org/items/show/676.

Geolocation

Darlington Shelter 2018.jpg