Appalachian Trail Histories

Menu

Description:

The South River Shelter, pictured here just after its completion in the summer of 1940, is one of the original trail shelters built in Shenandoah National Park by the Civilian Conservation Corps. This shelter is no longer in use as a trail shelter and instead is used as a trail maintenance storage facility by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, which maintains all the shelters in the Park.

Collection:

Trail Shelters


Date:

1940

Creator:

Myron Avery

Subject

Trail Shelters

Contributor

Mills Kelly

Format

Black and white photograph

Source:

Appalachian Trail Conservancy Archives. Used with permission.

Rights

All rights reserved

Citation

Myron Avery, “South River Shelter (1940),” Appalachian Trail Histories, accessed October 14, 2019, http://appalachiantrailhistory.org/items/show/620.

Geolocation

South River Shelter 1940.jpg